Monday, November 12, 2012

Grape Adventure

You never know where good times can be found unless you look for them.  This past weekend, my wife planned a little adventure for us with a few friends.  Initially I was not too excited about the plans. The outing was to consist of tasting wines from local wineries at Great Adventure; the "Grape Adventure."  I was looking forward to the company. But I must admit, tasting New Jersey wines didn't excite me very much. After going I have to say, I had a great time.  Call me a snob but most of the wines were not for me.  I have to give credit to Great Adventure. Despite a nasty storm called Sandy and an early Nor' Easter; the event went on.  Who cared about the melting snow and the sounds of generators to power the event.  Mother Nature opened the door with a little sunshine and Grape Adventure was a great success.

 I don't mean to bash New Jersey wineries. There were some very well crafted wines.  Meeting the wine makers and getting into their thought process' always adds to a wine experience for me.  The best part of the experience though was a reminder to live in the moment.  Opportunities pass us by everyday but it is up to us to decide what to do with them.  Local wineries, wherever you live are great experiences for many things.  There  are no better places to gain a greater appreciation for wine.  Immerse yourself in the experience.  Learn about how the wines are made.  Talk to the people who passionately make them and you will find great delight in the backgrounds behind what ended up in the bottle in your hand.  From Sunlight to water to vine and finally the winemaker's hand.  Great tales abound in the process.  Most of which remind me of one thing, life is about moments.  You can live them or let them pass you by.  I'm glad I was a part of this one.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  If your saving that special bottle for just the right occasion; you're missing the moments.  Your special occasion may never come because you're waiting for it to find you.  Celebrate Wednesday!  Open that bottle and let it be the special occasion.  There's no telling the stories it might tell you if you never take it off the shelf.  May good wines and good times abound!

By Tom Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment