Saturday, March 23, 2013

Unexpected Pleasures

I was traveling today to look at colleges with my daughter and had an unexpected surprise.  When I travel I always look for independent restaurants to dine at.  I like to dine at local establishments where I can enjoy true local cuisine and have an experience that I can't get at home.  Traveling through Bridgeport, CT I found a tapas restaurant that advertised having a wine bar as well.  This sounded like the perfect place to stop and have a relaxing meal.  Why am I telling you about this?  Because it was just that good!

If you're in the area, please stop in to Taberna Food & Wine Bar; located at 1439 Madison Avenue, Bridgeport, CT 06606; (203) 338-0203.  The wine list was knowledgeably constructed to compliment their cuisine.  The food was excellent.  The service and decor were homey yet elegant without being pretentious.  The owner/Maitre D' helped pick out a wine that complimented my food magically.  The wine was 2007 Bolgheri rosso, an Italian red composed of 50% cabernet sauvignon, 20% merlot and 30% sangiovese.  The nose was earthy with a touch of blackberry and a light sweet wood aroma.  In the mouth it was layered with bay leaf, cinnamon, blackberry and earthiness that hinted of sandalwood and bitter chocolate.  It was the perfect compliment to tapas of steamed octopus with potato and paprika and an entree of Duck leg confit with sweet potato, beets and spinach.  The duck was finished with a port wine sauce that not overly sweet as is often the case. The legs were perfectly crisp on the outside yet tender and falling apart when touched with a knife.  The melange of sea salt and vinegar were beautiful compliment to the delicately tender steamed octopus.

Please support your local independent restaurateurs and enjoy the local culture whenever possible.  As for Taberna; I can't wait to travel down this road again.  Daniel. thank you for a truly wonderful night!  Good friends and good wine!  May the truth lie at the bottom of the glass.

Tom Cook

#Taberna Food & Wine Bar, #Bridgeport, CT,

No comments:

Post a Comment