Friday, July 5, 2013

Time in a bottle

I lost several dear friends today.  There life was long and celebrated.  I looked at them often in my wine rack.  Their care and growth had been under my supervision for many years.  Today that all ended.  When they were gone, I reflected back on the joy they had given me.  Each one different in so many ways.  I couldn't help but feel as though my life was the greater for having known each bottle.  Even the ones that left a bad taste in my mouth had given me a valuable lesson in some way.

Wine like people has a life expectancy.  No one knows just when we'll pop that cork.  Or when we do weather the celebration will  start or come to an abrupt end.  When the liquid goes into the bottle we begin to  spin the dreams of what may lie ahead.  Aside from speculation, we never know where and how it's journey will end?  Or will it be dropped on the floor and all our dreams shattered in a single accident.  Will the cork become ill and allow in oxygen like a cancer.  Taking away what might have been a long life.  Maybe my existence will be celebrated in a long glorious life, penned in verse about what lie ahead.  Only to be met with great sorrow at my demise and reflected upon with great joy at the parties end.

Perhaps we are all a cautionary tale only to be labeled, "best if used by..."  I only hope when the smoke has cleared and all stories told; that I am not missed.  Instead I wish to be celebrated as you look back across my accomplishments and speak fondly of the times we shared.

#life, #wine, #reflection



...Tom Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment