Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Aging Wine

Anyone that knows me knows my passion for Zinfandels.  Today I had one of my favorites; 2004 Spelletich Cellars Zinfandel, Alviso Vineyard, Amador County, CA. Todays tasting reminds me of why I choose to age wine in my cellar.  I paired this wine with of all things; Thai spiced sweet and spicy chicken wings.  It was the perfect compliment.  The wine was soft and subtle with no in your face fruit.  Just soft tannins, red fruits and a beautiful livelyness to the acidity.   You have probably heard me say an aged Zinfandel is a little like a Barbera in how they drink.  If you like your Zins big and bold and exploding with fruit, this probably isn't for you.  If you like your wines very soft and sensual, this is one to look for.  Given the fact that it is nine years old you might have some difficulty.  This is the simple merrits of aging and cellaring wine.  If your interested in this or other wines that Tim and Barbara Spelletich produce, give them a call at (707) 363-5757.  Or you can check out their website at: www.spellwine.com   Happy Hunting!

Tom Cook



#Zinfandel, #Spelletich Cellars, #Barbara Spelletich

No comments:

Post a Comment